IB Visual Arts
Unleash Your Creative Expression: Explore the Transformative World of IB Visual Arts
"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." - Thomas Merton
Welcome to the enchanting world of IB Visual Arts, where you will embark on a transformative journey into the realm of visual expression and creativity. This course offers a comprehensive exploration of visual arts in various contexts, empowering you to investigate perspectives, theories, and cultures that inform and shape visual arts practice.
Visual Arts in Context: In this part of the syllabus, you will delve into the contextual aspects of visual arts, expanding your understanding of the broader world of art and appreciating the cultural contexts within which you create your own artworks. Through the visual arts in context area, you will:
- Gain knowledge about the wider world of visual arts, exploring diverse artistic traditions and practices.
- Observe the conventions and techniques employed in artworks, critically analyzing and experimenting with them to inform your own artistic practice.
- Investigate artworks from various cultural contexts, developing sophisticated responses and meaningful connections to the works you encounter.
Visual Arts Methods: In this part of the syllabus, you will explore the methods of creating artwork, acquiring skills, techniques, and processes while engaging with a variety of media. You will appreciate the diverse range of artistic tools and understand their evolution over time. Through the visual arts methods area, you will:
- Understand and appreciate the multitude of media, processes, techniques, and skills involved in creating visual arts, exploring how and why they have evolved.
- Engage with the works of other artists to understand the complexities of different art-making methods, using this inquiry to inspire your own experimentation and artistic practice.
- Recognize how a body of work can effectively communicate meaning and purpose to different audiences.
Communicating Visual Arts: In this part of the syllabus, you will investigate the processes involved in selecting artworks for exhibition and public display. You will make informed decisions about the selection of your own work, considering the ways in which visual arts can communicate and influence viewers. Through the communicating visual arts area, you will:
- Understand the various ways in which visual arts can communicate, acknowledging the role of presentation in constructing meaning and shaping the interpretation of individual works.
- Produce a body of artwork through reflection and evaluation, selecting artworks for exhibition and articulating the reasoning behind your choices, highlighting the connections between the selected works.
- Explore the role of the curator, recognizing that exhibitions encompass many variables and have the potential to make a profound impact on audiences and viewers.
Mapping the Course: To fully explore the core syllabus areas, you will engage in theoretical practice, art-making practice, and curatorial practice. Through these practices, you will investigate and develop a deeper understanding of the principles and processes that underpin visual arts.
Join us on this transformative journey into the world of IB Visual Arts, where you will unlock the power of visual expression, embrace creativity, and discover the joy of communicating through art. Through IB Visual Arts, you will unleash your artistic potential, develop your unique artistic voice, and make a lasting impact on the world through the beauty and power of visual arts.
"Every artist was first an amateur." - Ralph Waldo Emerson